Best New Restaurants in San Diego
San Diego is known for quite a few things, including beautiful beaches and delicious food. People flock from all over the world to visit the place we get to call home. While we all know the best local spots to kick back and soak up the sun, some of the best new restaurants in San Diego are popping up constantly around the area.
We’re not helping out your wallet or your waistline here, but who cares? Exploring new restaurants means supporting our community, which beats out the other two, right? Right.
With that said, here are a few of the top-rated new spots in San Diego you should check out…
El Carrito (Barrio Logan)
Technically, this historic restaurant isn’t new to the community of Barrio Logan. The historic streetcar restaurant has returned to the place it got its fame. It might be only 600 sqft, but when you have the best chilaquiles in San Diego, you just can’t pass up a delicious meal here.
Behind the relaunch is the dynamic duo who started the infamous Salud Tacos and Por Vida. El Carrito is located a block away from Chicano Park on Logan Avenue.
- Address: 2154 Logan Ave, San Diego, California
- Hours: Tuesday – Sunday from 7AM – 3PM
- Follow El Carrito on Instagram: instagram.com/elcarritorestaurante/
Little Italy Food Hall (Little Italy)
The Little Italy Food Hall opened in the highly anticipated Piazza della Famiglia right in the heart of everyone’s favorite neighborhood – Little Italy. At the new social dining experience, you can find six locally-driven “stations” all with their own unique take on dishes and a bar.
– Ambrigo15 (Authentic Italian)
– Mein St. (Asian Street Food)
– Not Not Tacos (Kinda Mexican, Kinda Not)
– Roast (Meat and Sandwiches)
– Single Fin (Shibui)
– Wicked Maine Lobster (Lobster Rolls)
– Little Italy Food Hall bar (Unique cocktails and local drafts)
- Address: 550 W. Date St., Suite B San Diego, CA 92101
- Hours: Sunday – Thursday 11AM – 10PM | Friday – Saturday 11AM – 11PM
- Follow The Little Italy Food Hall on Instagram: instagram.com/littleitalyfoodhall
Surf Rider Pizza Co. (Mission Beach)
While Surf Rider Pizza Co. has already made a name for itself in Ocean Beach, you’re going to see a lot more of these delicious pizza joints pop up around the city. With one recently opened in Mission Beach, they also have a location in Crown Point and one in La Mesa that’s coming soon.
The pizzas are 18” east coast-style pies that are loaded with unique and traditional toppings. Their signature pizza has roasted garlic, white sauce, gorgonzola, Roma tomatoes and fresh basil. But if you’re in a more adventurous mood, try the Pesto Spinach Delish. This pizza is complete with basil pesto, spinach, artichoke hearts, roasted reds, and ricotta.
In addition to pizzas, you can grab a salad, sandwich or stromboli. There are even fresh-baked desserts to finish off with.
The restaurant is part of The Patio Group who also have Fireside, Harvest and Swell Coffee under their belt (just to name a few).
- Address: 3770 Mission Blvd San Diego, CA 92109
- Hours: Sunday – Thursday 11:30 AM to 9:00 PM | Friday & Saturday 11:30 AM to 10:00 PM
- Follow Surf Rider Pizza Co. on Instagram: instagram.com/surfriderpizza/
TBD (Coronado Ferry Building)
Okay, okay, so this one isn’t technically a restaurant… yet. However, it is too exciting not to share. Plans to start building two restaurants next to the ferry building have been approved by officials. The build could cost upwards of $6 million to build the two spots.
While the restaurants have not yet been chosen, we’re pretty confident they will be incredibly delicious (and probably pricey given the location). The ground isn’t expected to break until 2019, and the building is expected to be a one-story, 7,500 sqft building that houses both restaurants.
The developer is Ferry Landing Associates of San Diego.
These are just a handful of best new restaurants in San Diego we cannot wait to try. Do you know any more? We’d love to know!